Part Time Bus Driver
Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) has openings for part time bus drivers for our Adventures & Outings Program, Cycling Program and Youth Sports Program. BORP is a Berkeley-based nonprofit providing sports and recreation programs for Bay Area children, youth and adults with physical disabilities and visual impairments.
The driver is responsible for providing transportation to participants to and from local activity sites from either their homes or BART stations using the agency’s vehicles, which include a 15-passenger van, a 26ft 16-passenger bus with a wheelchair lift and a 27ft 20 passenger bus with a wheelchair lift.
This is a part-time, year-round position. This position is primarily for weekends and some weekdays.
- Provide safe, reliable, punctual, courteous transportation to participants to and from program activities in agency vehicles while obeying all traffic laws and agency safety protocols.
- Provide assistance to participants in entering and exiting vehicles, including operating a motorized wheelchair lift and securing wheelchair tie-downs and safety belts;
- Provide assistance in loading, unloading and setting up sports equipment or other related items as needed;
- Provide support to trip leaders during activities, including guiding visually impaired participants, helping fill out intake forms, setting up recreational equipment, or other assigned tasks given by the trip leaders or Transportation Coordinator.
- Maintain valid California Commercial Class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement, clean driving record, pass periodic drug and alcohol testing, CPR certificate and Medical Card as required by the Department of Transportation or other entities;
- Maintain daily trip log and other vehicle records. Complete all necessary paperwork including mileage logs, participant transportation records, vehicle service records, time sheets, and other related documents. Report any issues immediately to Transportation Coordinator;
- Perform routine vehicle safety inspection, checking all fluids, tire condition, safety equipment, and vehicle documents before and after each shift.
- Maintain a clean vehicle inside and out to ensure a clean and safe environment for program participants.
- Class B California driver’s license with passenger endorsement and current Med Card is required
- At least one year of experience driving large passenger vehicles
- Clean DMV record
- Ability to read maps and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to do bending and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Must pass criminal background check, driving skills test, pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and have current TB test clearance.
- Participate in annual CPR/First Aid certification course.
- Good communication skills, able to problem solve with efficiency and calm under pressure.
- Bi-lingual speaker a plus (Spanish/English).
Starting pay is $20.00 per hour, plus over-time pay when applicable.
Please apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bus Driver” in the subject line and attach resume and current DMV H6 driving record, or fax to 510-849-4616.
Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program values a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Adaptive Cycling Program Assistant
BORP Adaptive Sports, Berkeley, CA
20 hours per week/$17.00 per hour
Tuesday: 12 – 7, Thursday 12 – 7, Saturday 9 – 4.
Occasional Special Events outside regular hours.
The Adaptive Cycling Program uses handcycles, adapted three-wheelers, tandems and standard bicycles to make cycling possible for people with disabilities. The program includes youth, adults, family members, friends and an active volunteer base. Most activities take place at the BORP Adaptive Sports Center in Berkeley.
The Program Assistant works with the Program Manager, other staff, and volunteers to make cycling accessible, safe, and fun for people with disabilities. The Assistant manages and leads all youth group rides throughout the season and multiple off site rides throughout the year.
- Lead cycling rides for people with disabilities.
- Help adult and youth participants get fitted and transfer to cycles.
- Ensure that trips are conducted safely and according to BORP policies.
- Assist with basic adjustment and maintenance of bikes.
- Enter attendance and participant information into BORP databases.
- Maintain Cycling Center as a clean, organized and welcoming environment
- Be a positive promotor of BORP Adaptive Sports in the community.
- Previous experience in recreation programs, preferably for youth or people with disabilities
- Passion for working with people with disabilities.
- Passion for cycling, outdoor recreation and inclusive sports.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Valid California Drivers License and insurance.
- Ability to move and load adaptive cycles (50 lbs.) into storage, trailers, etc.
- Athletes with disabilities encouraged to apply.
Seasonal Employment: Position open May 1 until filled. Position terminates 12/15/2017 with possibility for rehire March 1 depending on performance.
To apply email cover letter and resume to Cycling Program Manager at email@example.com