Fitness Program Coordinator
Classification: Part-time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: 15 hours/week
Start Date: open until filled
Organization and Program Descriptions
Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) is the leading provider of accessible sports, fitness and recreation opportunities for people with physical disabilities and visual impairments. Our mission is to improve the health, independence, and social integration of those with physical disabilities through participation in sports, recreation and fitness activities. These activities provide a path to greater achievement and quality of life to which all people should have access.
The Health & Fitness Program Coordinator is responsible for managing all aspects of the Health & Fitness Program, which is anchored with regular, year round fitness and movement classes at the Ed Roberts Campus (ERC) in Berkeley.
The Health & Fitness Program Coordinator is responsible for developing and maintaining an adaptive fitness program. We are looking for an outgoing, energetic, entrepreneurial, and professional to take the program to the next level. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for helping the executive director in developing a longterm plan for the future of the fitness program. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain a full menu of fitness and movement classes that meet the needs, interests and range of ability levels of a diverse community of individuals with mobility and visual impairments.
- Assess current program and develop plan to increase participation and facility utilization; work with participants, community agencies and other individuals in determining and developing appropriate programming;
- Plan, publicize and coordinate weekly class schedule;
- Recruit, supervise, train, and manage fitness instructors;
- Coordinate rentals and rental schedule of the studio space;
- Maintain all participant and program records in the Mind/Body database;
- Manage program facilities and maintain program equipment inventory;
- Oversee fee structures, as well as fee collection and tracking system.
- Develop effective outreach strategies, working with BORP staff, ERC staff, and community agencies to attract and engagement new participants.
- Produce, or have produced, updated outreach and marketing materials.
- Prepare periodic program reports, activity updates and articles for the BORP newsletter and website.
- Maintain resource files on relevant recreation programs, organizations and activities.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Education in a related field
- Experience working with people with disabilities, seniors and diverse communities;
- Experience coordinating wellness and/or fitness programs with supervisory experience;
- Ability to build motivation and excitement around fitness and engage new participants;
- Excellent logistics coordination skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Comfortable working with database programs;
- Experience with MindBody software a plus
TO APPLY: please email a cover letter and resume to Rick Smith, Executive Director at email@example.com
BORP is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Part Time Bus Driver
Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program (BORP) has openings for part time bus drivers for our Adventures & Outings Program, Cycling Program and Youth Sports Program. BORP is a Berkeley-based nonprofit providing sports and recreation programs for Bay Area children, youth and adults with physical disabilities and visual impairments.
The driver is responsible for providing transportation to participants to and from local activity sites from either their homes or BART stations using the agency’s vehicles, which include a 15-passenger van, a 26ft 16-passenger bus with a wheelchair lift and a 27ft 20 passenger bus with a wheelchair lift.
This is a part-time, year-round position. This position is primarily for weekends and some weekdays.
- Provide safe, reliable, punctual, courteous transportation to participants to and from program activities in agency vehicles while obeying all traffic laws and agency safety protocols.
- Provide assistance to participants in entering and exiting vehicles, including operating a motorized wheelchair lift and securing wheelchair tie-downs and safety belts;
- Provide assistance in loading, unloading and setting up sports equipment or other related items as needed;
- Provide support to trip leaders during activities, including guiding visually impaired participants, helping fill out intake forms, setting up recreational equipment, or other assigned tasks given by the trip leaders or Transportation Coordinator.
- Maintain valid California Commercial Class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement, clean driving record, pass periodic drug and alcohol testing, CPR certificate and Medical Card as required by the Department of Transportation or other entities;
- Maintain daily trip log and other vehicle records. Complete all necessary paperwork including mileage logs, participant transportation records, vehicle service records, time sheets, and other related documents. Report any issues immediately to Transportation Coordinator;
- Perform routine vehicle safety inspection, checking all fluids, tire condition, safety equipment, and vehicle documents before and after each shift.
- Maintain a clean vehicle inside and out to ensure a clean and safe environment for program participants.
- Class B California driver’s license with passenger endorsement and current Med Card is required
- At least one year of experience driving large passenger vehicles
- Clean DMV record
- Ability to read maps and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to do bending and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Must pass criminal background check, driving skills test, pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and have current TB test clearance.
- Participate in annual CPR/First Aid certification course.
- Good communication skills, able to problem solve with efficiency and calm under pressure.
- Bi-lingual speaker a plus (Spanish/English).
Starting pay is $20.00 per hour, plus over-time pay when applicable.
Please apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bus Driver” in the subject line and attach resume and current DMV H6 driving record, or fax to 510-849-4616.
Bay Area Outreach & Recreation Program values a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.