Scroll down to see ADVENTURES & OUTINGS events listed in plain-text format.
Bay Area Outreach and Recreation Program Adventures and Outings Calendar
Note: Trips range in length from 2-8 hours. For more information call Lori Gray at 510-843-4398 Tuesdays & Thursdays between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. PST.
Thursday, Oct. 24th – Fishing with E B Parks, Contra Loma, in Antioch. Participant fee $10. Deadline: Oct. 21st. Meet at ERC at 10:45 , depart 11 AM. Contra Loma 12 to 4:30.
Friday, Oct. 25th – Bioluminescence Sea Kayaking at Tomales Bay. Program Fee $70. Outing full. No transportation.
Sunday, Oct. 27th – Abilities Expo, San Mateo. Prog. fee $5. No fee for volunteers. Deadline Oct. 24th. Plan to be at the expo from 11 A M til 4 P M. We’ll meet at 10 at ERC.
Friday, Nov. 1st – Indoor Rock Climbing at Berkeley Iron Works: Participant program fee $10. No fee for volunteers. Deadline: Oct. 28th
Sunday, Nov. 3rd – Local outing – Either local museum or movie. More information to follow including cost. Deadline: Nov 1st . we currently are not providing transportation for this outing.
Wednesday, November 6th – O.U.S.D. Indoor Rock Climbing at Great Western in Oakland. 2 – 5 P M.Note this climb is for Oakland visually impaired youth. Please note we may need some of our adult climbers to valet the youth. Adult may have to get themselves to the Great Western climbing facility in Oakland
Wednesday, Nov. 6th – The Moth – Topic: “Gratitude” – No transportation. Program fee: $16. Deadline: Oct. 28th. The freight is located one point five blocks from downtown Berkeley bart. This is an evening event.
Sunday, Nov. 10th – E. B. Parks collaborative outing – Outing to be announced. Participant program fee $10. No fee for volunteers. Deadline: Nov. 3rd. Approximate time 10:30 A M to 5:30 P M. we will hopefully be hiking at Sunol regional park and doing the trail to little Yosemite fall. Please note that the trail is an old fire road with gravel and some rocks. It also has six uphill stretches and is about a mile and a quarter long. We will also meet with naturalist at visitor center and have lunch. We will need as many volunteers as possible.
Wednesday, Nov. 13th – Movie: Godfather, Part 2. Program fee $10 . Deadline: Nov.3rd.Free snacks at 12:50 we will most likely have transportation. Please note this movie is not audio described, we will need volunteer assistance.
Friday, Nov. 15th – Costco in Richmond: Program fee $5. No fee for volunteers. Deadline: Nov. 8th. We will need volunteers to assist with shopping, loading and unloading bus and participants home. We will be shopping for participants as well as for the holiday potluck on November 17th.
Sunday, Nov. 17th – BORP’s 19th annual holiday Potluck at Ed Roberts (ERC). Program fee: $12. Deadline: Nov. 5th. Set up at 12 event goes from 1:30 P M to 4 and clean up and be out by 5.
Sunday, Nov. 24th – Possible Bowling outing in Concord and lunch at either El Molino or Old Spaghetti Factory. Participant program fee: $15, $6 for volunteers who want to bowl plus cost of shoes, plus the cost of lunch. Deadline:Nov 17th. please note we may have transportation for this outing.
Saturday, Nov. 30th – Freight & Salvage – Laurie Lewis, folk inspired music and bluegrass, and the Right Hands. $24 advance tickets. Deadline: Nov. 10th. No transportation we will meet at the freight.
*Sunday, Dec. 1st – Outing to be announced possible movie, “When Harry met Sally” at the Regal UA in Berkeley – $12.50, 4 P M show. Deadline: Nov. 27th. If there’s transportation there will be possible hike at location to be announced.
Tuesday, Dec. 3rd – Movie – “When Harry met Sally” Regal UA in Berkeley, 4 P M show, $12.50. Deadline: Nov. 27th. Please note if we do the movie on the 1st we will not do it on the 3rd
Wednesday, Dec. 4th – Freight & Salvage – The Moth – Topic: “Family” – Program fee $16. Deadline: Nov. 24th. No transportation.
*Friday, Dec. 6th – Rock Climbing – location TBA. Participant program fee: $10. No fee for volunteers. Deadline: Dec. 1st.
*Friday, Dec. 6th – Costco Richmond – Participant program fee: $5. Deadline: Dec. 1st.
*Sunday, Dec. 8th – Possible coastal hike depending on transportation. Location TBA. Participant program fee: $15. Deadline: Nov. 30th.
Thursday, Dec. 13th – Possible Christmas Revels.Please note this is an evening event. Participant program fee $10. Deadline: Nov. 28th. Approximate timing: 5:30 P M to 11:30 P M.
Sunday Dec. 15th – Lunch and Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory Outlet Sale in San Leandro. Participant program fee: $5. Deadline: Nov. 28th.
Things in the works:
Post new year’s meal Old Spaghetti factory or Szechuan Chinese Restaurant, wine and olive oil tasting, and more to come, open to suggestions!
PLEASE NOTE: *This list is a work-in-progress; trips are often added or sometimes changed. Please note it is important that you attend the outings that you sign up for. Once we schedule an outing, we are unable to cancel the driver once they have been scheduled.
We believe that everyone should have access to the unique challenges that outdoor recreation provides. We make every effort to accommodate your needs, including providing transportation and volunteer support. BORP plans trips for a wide spectrum of abilities, including wheelchair users, slow walkers and people with visual impairments. BORP however, does not provide attendants on trips but will offer discounted trip fees for caregivers when possible. Families and friends are welcome on all our trips – just let us know who is coming and their needs.
BORP trips operate on two basic tenets: one, a successful trip requires group participation, and two, a little dirt is good for the soul. The line between volunteer and participant is often blurred, as we all share responsibility for the group’s well-being. However, every person is responsible for setting their own boundaries and limitations. Safety is our priority on all BORP outings and events. Many BORP trips fill quickly, so we urge you to register early.
BORP trips are possible because of dedicated people who generously donate their time and energy. You can be one of these lovely people.
Just follow these easy steps:
- Consult the website or recorded line for the list of current outings: 510-849-4663 extension 1380.
- Contact Lori Grey phone number 510-843-4398, after 10 AM please for trip details and to sign up
- After spoken with the program coordinator and received the information, you must let me know what you are interested in by the deadline. Once the deadline has passed, I will confirm your spot and will let you know how to pay. If you are signing up after the deadline, you will automatically be placed on a wait list. Note you must talk to me before signing up as not all outings are suitable for everyone. You can pay in several ways, as a general rule, we do not accept credit card payments! I will have everyone pay in cash on the day of the outing. Please note folks need to bring exact change as I will be unable make change. If you need to pay by check, please let me know prior to the trip. Please make checks payable to BORP and note the trip name and date(s) on the check. Mail payment to:
Adventures and Outings
3075 Adeline St., Suite 200
Berkeley, CA 94703
- Cancellations and Lateness: Our trips are very popular, so it is detrimental to the program when folks either cancel on trips they’ve signed up for or show up after the planned departure time. Please note there may be a $10 cancellation or late fee charged. Once the sign up deadline for a trip has passed, I then secure either one or two buses for transportation. When people cancel, our numbers may drop below the point of needing a second vehicle. However, we still have to pay the second driver. Cancellations also affect our grant funding as grants depend on participant numbers. Volunteer cancellations may adversely affect the quality of the trip for participants and may even limit what we can experience on the trip.
- Please note that due to economic constraints, we are having to raise program fees in some instances.
We want you to participate in BORP outings. Call us, and we can talk about payment plans or scholarships.
For cancellation & refund policies for Adventures and Outings programs, call Lori Gray after 10 a.m. Full refunds are only given if we must cancel an outing. In the event of illness or other emergencies, please call the specified trip leader or Adventures and Outings coordinator. Credit may be possible.