All participants must have a participant registration form and waiver on file with BORP.
Sign up today for the 21st annual Revolution Ride, Roll & Stroll, BORP’s biggest fundraiser of the year! With both in-person and virtual options, everyone can participate.
- This event has passed.
Cancelled: Outing with East Bay Parks at Judge John J. Sutter Park
December 4, 2022
This event has been cancelled due to the weather conditions and will be rescheduled.
Sunday, December 4th Outing with East Bay Parks at Judge John J. Sutter Park
Join A and O and EB Parks for a day of fun! We will fish, hike, have an opportunity for adaptive cycling, and more. Transportation will be available from Ed Roberts Campus. The program fee is $10, and no fee for youth. The deadline to confirm your spot is Sunday, November 20th. More info to follow.
The 22.47-acre Judge John Sutter Regional Shoreline, located on the original location of the foot of the Bay Bridge on the Oakland Shoreline, is steeped in history. The Oakland Army Base operated at this location from 1941-1999. Its role as a transportation staging area and terminal for the Department of the Army was vital during the wars the USA participated in.
The highlights of this linear park are the 600-foot Observation Pier that’s lined with information panels, the expansive views of the bay; the Port of Oakland where large white gantry cranes rise like trojan horses, Yerba Buena Island, San Francisco, and its proximity to the trailhead for the bridge crossing.
Shorebirds gather on the ground, in the trees, or are seen bathing and feeding in the nearby mudflats. It’s fun to watch the boats of all types from sailboats manipulating the wind to large container ships and barges assisted by smaller tugboats. Fishing is allowed but there’s no cleaning station.
Trails and Pathways
Time to Complete:
Across from the accessible parking spaces
1-2 total miles
4 ft. & above
Trail Overview: To reach this flat (except for a short incline before the pier) trail, cross the service road directly in front of the accessible parking spaces then turn left. Watch for cyclists coming from both directions.
Headphones will come in handy to block the ever-present traffic noise from the bridge. You’ll get a rare opportunity to view the bay to the north by peering under the bay bridge. In less than .5 mile you’ll reach the entrance to the Alexander Zuckerman Bay Bridge trail. Turn left here to take the park’s trail another .2 mile to the observation pier or continue straight to cross the bridge.
Please register by taking the following steps:
- Contact me Lori Gray, Outing coordinator, by phone at 510-843-4398 after 10am please. You can also email; however, I will most likely need to reply via telephone so be sure to include your phone number.
- After you’ve gotten the information about an outing then please reserve your spot.
- Unless otherwise specified payment for outings will be due on the day of the outing.
- Cash is preferred. If you need to pay via check, please let me know in advance. I am unable to process credit cards at this time.
- At this time, we currently have one bus, space is limited, and we will not be socially distancing on the bus. Everyone must wear a mask and be fully vaccinated. We will need to ride with the windows open so please dress in layers.
- If you prefer, you can transport yourself and meet us at the location of the outing.
- We are currently offering a hybrid of both virtual and limited in person outings. Due to the fact that we will be going to public places, everyone will need to remain masked unless eating or drinking. If you are exhibiting symptoms, please DO NOT attend