Adventures & Outings

Making Recreation Accessible

Everyone, regardless of disability, should have the opportunity to enjoy outdoor recreation and cultural experiences. BORP’s Adventures & Outings program supports this by:

  • Hosting regular group trips for people with disabilities;
  • Helping individuals and families plan their own independent recreation and travel through our Access Northern California Website;
  • Offering regular recreational activities like adaptive kayaking and birding.

Group Outings

BORP’s trips are fun group adventures that explore the Bay Area’s nature, recreation, and culture. Examples include a day trip to Angel Island, wine tasting in Sonoma County, hiking an accessible trail, or attending a live performance. Many trips are appropriate for children, youth and their families. On occasion, BORP also provides outings specifically for children and youth.

Participants forge new friendships, challenge themselves to do new things, and often discover new interests, skills and a sense of empowerment.

Woman in wheelchair using bow and arrow

Interested in joining us?

  • Contact Lori at or at 510-843-4398 (after 10am weekdays).
  • See the calendar for upcoming outings.
  • You can also call 510-225-7880 to listen to a recording of upcoming outings.
  • Register early. Outings fill up fast!
  • See detailed information and guidelines about BORP’s outings.
BORP provides wheelchair-accessible transportation and volunteer support, including sighted guides when available. However, we do not provide attendant care.
Adventures and Outings Youth around a fire pit

Recreation Activities

BORP provides a variety of accessible recreational activities, including:

  • Adaptive kayaking at the BORP Adaptive Cycling Center in Berkeley;
  • Birding through our Birding for All program;
  • Activities provided with partner organizations like archery and indoor adaptive climbing.

Interested in joining us?

Interested in Volunteering?

Volunteers play an important role in providing support and assistance on BORP’s adventures and outings.

Covid Regulations:

While we cannot completely eliminate the risks associated with COVID-19, we will follow the guidelines of local health departments and the City of Berkeley and take the necessary steps to minimize risk.

The following BORP COVID-19 guideline updates will remain in place until further notice for all individuals aged 5 years and older.

“Fully vaccinated” – Per the City of Berkeley, “fully vaccinated” is defined as 14 days after the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine or 14 days after the second shot of the two-dose Moderna or Pfizer vaccines. BORP is also requiring that staff, participants and volunteers have received their booster if it has been more than five months since their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or more than two months after the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine.

Adventures & Outings
Participants, their families, volunteers, and staff will be asked to be fully vaccinated and wear a mask for both indoor and outdoor activities due to the nature of the activities.

Masks: Participants, their families, volunteers, and staff are required to wear an N95 or comparable mask (KN95, KF94), or be double-masked for all indoor activities.

If you have a fever, don’t feel well, or have any other symptoms, please stay home.

*Proof of Vaccination as outlined in the order by the City of Berkeley revised on February 7, 2022, shall include only the following documentation indicating that a person is vaccinated for COVID-19. BORP is not equipped to read QR codes at this time:

a. A Vaccination Card issued by the CDC or a foreign governmental jurisdiction which includes the name of the person vaccinated, the type of vaccine provided, and the date(s) the dose or doses were administered;

b. A photo or copy of a Vaccination Card either as a hardcopy or stored on a phone or electronic device; or

c. Documentation of vaccination from a healthcare provider; or

d. A personal digital COVID-19 vaccine record issued by the State of California and available by going to or similar documentation issued by another state, local, or foreign governmental jurisdiction.